Your future. Their present. Be connected.

Blog Archive

Wednesday, March 23, 2016

You’re More than Just Your Major


You’re More than Just Your Major

By Jonathan Lewis '11

Choosing a major was easily the most stressful part of my years at Stony Brook. Thinking pragmatically, I knew that studying engineering would set me up for a lucrative career. But I found myself much more engaged in my history and political science courses. Ultimately, I decided to make the switch from STEM to humanities in my sophomore year.

Once I changed to liberal arts, I found that I loved going to my new classes every day - but I secretly dreaded the thought of one day graduating and having to find work. What I had lost sight of was the fact that classes are just one part of the university experience. Today, I work as a supply-chain engineer for a major food distributor. In a blog article for the American Historical Association, I detailed how my major helped me develop useful skills for my job; but this time, I want to speak more to how my hobbies and extra-curricular activities during college helped me stand out among applicants during my job hunt.

Back when I was going on interviews, I was often asked by hiring managers about what I was doing outside of class. I told them how during my junior year, some friends and I started doing an annual online charity telethon to raise money to help buy games and toys for children’s hospitals. Running a 24/7 live event involves a substantial amount of data analytics. For the event, I was tasked with determining peak times for viewership to maximize the potential donor draw when scheduling on-camera special events. As it turns out, my current position also requires a lot of manipulating data and drawing conclusions useful to developing business strategies. The hiring managers at my company were impressed that I’d not only used real-world data to implement decisions, but had done so on a project of my own initiative.

Even if your major is going to feed directly into a dream career, you can use your extra-curricular experiences to stand out among a crowded field of applicants. The interview process is not just about screening for job skills, but also determining if an applicant is a good fit for the office culture. My extracurricular experiences helped in this area, too. I did two study abroad programs: one to Shanghai through Stony Brook University, and another to Southern France as a non-traditional student. I found out during my interview with my current boss that he was a non-traditional student for a semester in Sweden. Making that small personal connection changed the whole tone of the interview. The conversation was more relaxed, and I felt more confident when discussing my job-specific skills because the person interviewing me was no longer a stranger.

Applying for jobs as a freshly minted graduate can be difficult, especially when many companies are looking for applicants who are experienced with applying skills to real-world situations. When building your resume, remember that you have been developing skills not only through class, but through your extra-curricular activities as well!

16 comments:

  1. Hi,

    The clients can showcase their products and services by using such lists to reach out the Target Businesses or Consumers.

    Business & Consumer Database

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    Good to see your articles,

    here also i will share some similar kind of business services.
    We take great care in ensuring your lists are as accurate and updated as possible. We ensure that our accuracy rates are above the industry standard. USA B2B Email Database

    USA Hospitality Email Lists
    USA Investors Email List
    USA CMO Email Lists

    ReplyDelete
  3. For leaders who wish to develop their leadership qualities for survival in this competitive world, MARG offers the best leadership training in Bangalore, that provides an in-depth insight into how to guide the team to rise against all odds for a better future.
    Team Building training in Bangalore | Outbound Training in Bangalore

    ReplyDelete
  4. Somebody necessarily help to make severely posts I might state. This is the first time I frequented your website page and to this point? I surprised with the research you made to create this particular post extraordinary. Well done admin..
    Study Abroad Consultants in Chennai
    Study in Germany Consultants in Chennai
    Germany Education Consultants in Chennai

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post!I am actually getting ready to across this information,i am very happy to this commands.Also great blog here with all of the valuable information you have.Well done,its a great knowledge.

    Digital Marketing Company in Chennai


    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your valuable information. We strive to provide our candidates with excellent care.As always, we appreciate you confidence and trust in us.

    MSBI Training in Chennai

    Informatica Training in Chennai

    ReplyDelete
  7. 24's Aljamain Sterling: I let fans, media coordinate style in 2 Profoundly Cited-MMAjunkie.com-19 hours earlier. Dana White: McGregor versus Mayweather is 'one and done,' no more. All the talk about UFC lightweight champion Conor McGregor going up against multi-time champion Floyd Mayweather has stirred up a couple of other.
    UFC 210
    UFC 210 Live , UFC 210 Fight Card , UFC 210 Fight , UFC 210 Card , UFC 210 Live Stream , UFC 210 PPV



    "Disorder" Miller admits to around dozen. The past UFC middleweight yielded to just about twelve legal offenses and wrongdoings beginning from various clashes with police over. UFC on FOX 24: Aljamain Sterling let fans and media play into his. Sterling will want to end his slide when he goes up against Augusto Mendes at UFC on FOX 24 on April 15 in Kansas City, Mo. Additionally, you can trust.
    UFC 210
    UFC 210 Live , UFC 210 Fight Card , UFC 210 Fight , UFC 210 Card , UFC 210 Live Stream , UFC 210 PPV

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing the valuable information here. So i think i got some useful information with this content. Thank you and please keep update like this informative details.

    SEO Company in India

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post!I am actually getting ready to across this information, I am very happy to this commands Digital Marketing Training.Also great blog here with all of the valuable information you have.Well done, it's a great knowledge.
    Digital Marketing Training Course
    Digital Marketing Training in Chennai

    ReplyDelete
  10. This blog is the general information for the feature. You got a good work for these blog.We have a developing our creative content of this mind.Thank you for this blog. This for very interesting and useful.

    Oracle Training in Chennai

    ReplyDelete
  11. Its fantatic explaintion lot of information gather it...nice article....
    seo company in Chennai

    ReplyDelete
  12. In the UFC 214: Cormier vs Jones 2 Fight Card, Date, Betting Odds, Preview and Live Stream Info
    UFC 214 Live

    UFC 214 Live Stream

    UFC 214 Fight

    UFC 214

    UFC 214 Live

    Watch UFC 214

    UFC 214 Fight Card

    ReplyDelete
  13. you are giving a very interesting post and it is usefull.
    informatica training in chennai

    ReplyDelete

  14. your post conveys a good messages and interesting things and give more updates.
    digital marketing company in india

    ReplyDelete
  15. Its a wonderful post and very helpful, thanks for all this information. You are including better information regarding this topic in an effective way.Thank you so much

    Personal Installment Loans
    Title Car loan
    Cash Advance Loan

    ReplyDelete